Friday 24 January 2014

This Sunday, the Royal Rumble is finally here!

As I've mentioned before, the Royal Rumble is my favourite match type, and it's usually my favourite match of the year. Heck, I even named this blog after it. However, this year the entrants leave me somewhat wanting. I have a feeling the match will be a relative disappointment, and I'll explain why.

Batista, who was meant to be a surprise entrant in this year's Royal Rumble, had to be revealed early because a Las Vegas venue spoiled his return. Since he's likely to win it, the surprise would've made his victory much more palatable, but now the match hinges on his performance and results.

Bray Wyatt has a singles match, meaning he probably won't be an entrant--even though the rest of the Wyatt family will be, which is ridiculous. If Bray was in the Rumble, Harper and Rowan could have had a role in protected him, but those guys have no shot at winning it themselves.

Daniel Bryan is in that match with Bray, so he's probably not going to be involved. :(

Brock Lesnar is ALSO in a singles match,  so he's probably not in the Rumble either.

And, finally CM Punk is the #1 entrant, meaning he'll either be eliminated around the midpoint, forcing someone less talented to carry the proceedings, or he'll make it all the way to the end to face off against Batista. It's a predictable result, and in pro wrestling, predictability is poison.

And that's really my prediction for this thing: CM Punk or Batista. I would've said Daniel Bryan, and if he wrestles in two matches on Sunday despite concussion worries, I will say Daniel Bryan, but again, he's in a match already. That's not to say he absolutely cannot be in the Rumble; Dolph Ziggler was an entrant after competing in a singles match in the same night, but...well, I guess we'll see.

Batista has the best chance, given that he was meant to be a surprise. I doubt they'll change their plans based on that spoiler, so I see him winning it, especially with rumours that Punk will be facing Triple H at Wrestlemania. Knowing that, my guess is that Punk and Batista will be the final two competitors. Punk will be on the cusp of victory just before the Authority screws him somehow, allowing Batista to win.

But I hope I'm wrong. If that's how it ends, it'll be too predictable and disappointing for me. Batista isn't who I want to see in the main event at Wrestlemania, and he isn't who I want to see hold the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Sadly, that seems to be where everything is heading. Maybe Brock wins at Elimination Chamber for a Lesnar vs. Batista main event? That might not be a bad consolation match, but that would mean Daniel Bryan wouldn't be in the position he deserves.

Until next time, have a nice day, and don't be a jabroni.

No comments:

Post a Comment